Saturday 16 January 2016

With the weather the past few days feeling a lot colder with morning frosts, i'm hoping that a few winter birds will appear at Nethergong and hopefully they will coincide with my visits. I had an hour yesterday afternoon after work where I walked up the northern boundary to the gate which overlooks open fields. Walking up late afternoon, it seemed pretty quiet, just c30 Fieldfare, 1 Goldcrest, 2 Mallard on the lake which I hope might attract the odd duck in the next few weeks, 2 Jay and 2 Grey Heron. From the gate I couldn't find the Short eared Owl hunting but I hope it may still be around. I did manage to see the first Lapwing (63) of the year which flew over me and landed in the ploughed fields where it stayed on its own for my duration of the visit. Other birds noted were 2 Kestrel, 1 Marsh Harrier, 1 Common Buzzard, c10 Meadow Pipit and 8 Mute Swan. As I walked back at dusk I could hear 1 Bearded Tit 'pinging' from the northern Reedbed which also looks like it could host a Bittern if the weather continues to be cold. Just a brief visit but still nice to be out not knowing what you may find.

No comments:

Post a Comment