Sunday 15 May 2016

I was out of the house just after 4.30am this morning where a few minutes later, I arrived at Nethergong in still conditions. The dawn chorus was already in fine voice and after parking up, I spent the next 6 hours walking the circuit 4 times. Not too long later I received a text from Martyn Wilson alerting me that a Purple Heron was coming my way but despite a good search of the area, I failed to see it fly through. No doubt one of the many good birds that probably flies over Nethergong air space during the year. I managed to see or hear 60 species this morning which included 1 booming Bittern heard calling from the Stour Valley, 5 Pheasant, 3 Cetti's Warbler, 3 Cuckoo, 1 Skylark, 1 Grey Heron, 35 Cormorant, 9 Whitethroat, 1 Barn Owl, 3 Common Buzzard, 6 Blackcap, 2 Green Woodpecker, 1 Kestrel, 4 Sedge Warbler  and 1 Little Owl was seen a few times allowing me to grab a few shots.

Little Owl

There were c15 Swift, 1 Great spotted Woodpecker, 1 Nightingale, 2 Chiffchaff, 5 Yellowhammer, 3 Marsh Harrier, 1 Grasshopper Warbler reeling, 6 Mute Swan, 2 Treereeper, 2 Reed Warbler, 8 Swallow, 1 Ring necked Parakeet, 2 Turtle Dove, 1 Jay, 1 Lapwing, 2 Common Tern, 1 Sparrowhawk and 1 Peregrine. Despite a good sky watch for nearly an hour looking for a Hobby, I failed to connect with this species again but was pleased to see good numbers of Blue tailed Damselfly, a few Azure Damselfly and 1 female Hairy Dragonfly ovipositing. A pleasant session once again and hopefully this Hobby will appear in the next session.


No comments:

Post a Comment