Saturday 5 November 2016

I didn't arrive until 8.45am this morning as I waited to use the car and on arrival, it felt pretty cold in a NW wind. I spent 3 hours walking around the site in the hope of finding some good winter birds and a few were seen. The undoubted highlight was when I was at the lake looking for the Little Grebe which I still didn't see when I heard the trilling call of a Waxwing (109) which I soon picked up. It circled quite high still calling before flying high south over the trees. With an invasion of this species looking likely this year, I had slightly hoped I might get one here but was shocked to get one so quickly. A definite highlight of the year seeing one of these and maybe as winter rolls on, some more may be seen and hopefully perched up eating berries which there are lots of here. Other birds noted today were 2 Water Rail, c400 Lapwing, c250 Fieldfare, c30 Redwing, 1 Tufted Duck, 1 Little Egret, 1 Grey Heron, 1 Treecreeper, 1 Green Woodpecker, 1 Great spotted Woodpecker, 1 Green Sandpiper, 2 Grey Wagtail, 2 Marsh Harrier, 1 Sparrowhawk, 1 Kestrel, 2 Jay, 2 Goldcrest, 1 Mute Swan and 2 Cetti's Warbler. A cold but rewarding session and a step nearer to the 110 species.

No comments:

Post a Comment