Sunday 4 December 2016

I made another visit to Nethergong this morning, arriving at 6.15am in the dark where after getting ready, I walked up the path where I wanted to watch and listen to see if any Long eared Owls were calling. I have never seen this species on site before but have seen them a number of years back nearby so I hope they may be some around. Despite listening, I didn't hear any but was pleased to see 3 Woodcock fly into roost which gave lovely silhouetted views.

Waiting for Woodcock

As the light picked up, I wandered down towards the eastern gate and watched for an hour before moving on and doing the circuit a few times. I managed to see or hear 56 species which included 2 Cetti's Warbler, 5 Fieldfare, 3 Reed Bunting, 2 Grey Heron, 5 Snipe, 1 Kingfisher, 1 Grey Wagtail, c1000 Cormorant out of the Stour Valley, 5 Marsh Harrier, 4 Pheasant, 1 Linnet, 1 Green Woodpecker, 1 Skylark, 2 Stonechat, 2 Bullfinch, 1 Great spotted Woodpecker, 1 Kestrel,1 Little Egret and 1 Common Buzzard. There were 2 Mute Swan, 2 Water Rail, 1 Ring necked Parakeet, 1 Jay, 1 Mistle Thrush, 2 Goldcrest, 5 Yellowhammer, 1 Green Sandpiper, 6 Stock Dove, 45 Golden Plover, 1 Sparrowhawk and c400 Lapwing. I walked up the stream checking likely areas for a Jack Snipe but didn't see one on this occasion. Maybe a few days of cold temperatures and frozen pools will push one on to the stream. Still a few weeks to go and hopefully the year is not done yet. What will next weekend deliver?

Lapwing

2 comments:

  1. Looking for a Woodcock, beautiful Lapwing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bob. My favourite time of the day. The time just after dawn can be magic.

      Delete