Sunday 26 November 2017

I was out of the house this morning at 6am where a few minutes later, I arrived at Nethergong where I parked up and sat in the warm car for c45 minutes hoping to hear a few Owls. It was a bit windier this morning making listening a challenge and despite a good time listening, I didn't hear any Owls. As I drove down the road just before 7am to park in Nethergong, there was 1 Little Owl sat on the sign. I spent a chilly 3 hours walking around the site a few times and managed to see or hear c12 Redwing, 2 Moorhen, 1 Sparrowhawk, 1 Common Buzzard, 2 Pied Wagtail, 2 Kestrel, 11 Stock Dove, 2 Yellowhammer, 6 Fieldfare, 1 Cetti's Warbler, 1 Treecreeper, 1 Goldcrest and 2 Ring necked Parakeet. As I neared the small dried up pool, I could see 1 Grey Wagtail walking around the edges and a Water Pipit could be seen and heard circling around the area. After seeing one yesterday here for the first time, I was hoping it would land but after a fly around, it seemed to fly off calling still towards Grove Ferry. I carried on walking and a few minutes later, decided to look at the pool from another angle and there with the Grey Wagtail, was a Water Pipit. I was too far away for any shots and so at first, just took in the distant view to confirm the identification and then started to walk around the edge of the pool using what cover I could find. I eventually ended up within a distance I could at least get a record shot and fired off a few. It walked around for a few minutes before flying off again. An excellent bird to see and photograph on the site and I would imagine, the first time one has been photographed here. Other birds noted today were 1 Grey Heron, 7 Golden Plover flew north, 2 Mute Swan, 2 Stonechat, 2 Bullfinch, 3 Reed Bunting, 1 Bearded Tit, c5 Long tailed Tit, 1 Little Egret but no sign of the Great White Egret. 

Water Pipit

Bearded Tit (male)

2 comments:

  1. The Bearded Tit, another bird I haven't seen. Excellent photograph Marc.

    ReplyDelete