Saturday 24 April 2021

I cycled down to Nethergong this morning, arriving at 6am in sunny chilly conditions. I then spent the best part of 4 hours walking around the site and adjoining fields where I managed to see 53 species. Birds noted this morning included 1 Green Woodpecker, 3 Pheasant, 4 Chiffchaff, 4 Cetti's Warbler, 9 Common Whitethroat, 3 Kestrel, 8 Stock Dove, 3 Yellowhammer, 3 Reed Warbler, 3 Grey Heron, 2 Long tailed Tit and 1 Swallow. As I walked up the northern boundary early on, I heard the melodic song of the Nightingale (100) which I stood still and listened to briefly. It would be nice to see if I can record it during the night singing. There were 5 Blackcap, 1 Curlew flew North West calling, 2 Reed Bunting, 3 Skylark, 2 Collared Dove, 8 Linnet, 3 Jay, 1 Sparrowhawk, 2 Greylag Geese, 1 Marsh Harrier, 2 Common Buzzard, 1 Snipe, 1 Raven, 1 Redwing and 1 Sand Martin. A walk through one of the fields which had been grazed by cattle produced and excellent 4 Ring Ouzel (101) which included 3 males. There were feeding along the hedge line but were pretty impossible to approach as they can be. This is only the second time I have seen this species in 6 years here. Recording during a few nights during the week finally gave me a Whimbrel (99) and another last night. 



Common Whitethroat


Female Ring Ouzel


Male Ring Ouzel


Whimbrel



2 comments:

  1. I'd love it if I photos Ring Ouzel, but, I have seen one. Well done Marc, you caught one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were tough to get any shot of. Not a lot of cover to use to get nearer. A great record to have on the site. Take care.

      Delete