Sunday 9 May 2021

With the weather forecast predicting light winds and plenty of sunshine for this morning, I decided to have another session in the photography hide at Nethergong. Arriving in the dark around 04:45am, I quickly set up and was soon out of sight sitting back in the chair and listening to the day waking up. The Bittern could be heard booming for a couple of hours at least and 1 Raven was heard cronking. A few Yellowhammer were singing as was a Cuckoo which went unseen. I was hoping again to catch the male in the tree in good light and not long after the sun had come up, he duly arrived. He seemed a lot more settled this week with the hide and I rattled off a few shots in the growing light.




Kestrel (male)

He did return again a few more times during my stay in lovely light but each time, he was on the other side of the tree. The female showed well when the male arrived and delivered some prey and thankfully, she landed on a low branch allowing a few pleasing images. 



Kestrel (female)

Otherwise it was the Stock Doves which kept me busy. I shall have another go soon and i'm sure a Cuckoo will hopefully pass by soon and land here. I will however settle for a nice image of the male Kestrel.


Stock Dove


Magpie and Stock Dove

Yesterday (Saturday) I saw 10 Swift (108) from the eastern gate and was pretty sure I had a flock of c60 Corn Bunting distantly through the scope which dropped down into a wheat field before flying further away. I have only had 1 record of this species in my 5 years of watching here. I'm fairly sure I saw another this morning as I scanned the fields. Weather permitting, I shall make a late visit during the week to see whether they are Corn Buntings gathering prior to roosting. Other bits seen included 2 Yellow Wagtails but still no Whinchat or Wheatear. Night recording has been generally quiet with just a couple of records of Whimbrel, Little Grebe and a Redshank of note.  

2 comments:

  1. I bet you're absolutely delighted with the hide, Marc, when you're getting super shots like these. I particularly like those two of the female Kestrel. Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. So far so good. Looking forward to the next session, whenever that is. Take care.

      Delete