Sunday 16 January 2022

I had a brief visit to Nethergong on Saturday morning but with quite heavy fog on arrival which really didn't lift at all for a few hours, I didn't stay for that long. A  Woodcock was seen at the light picked up and Greylag Geese could be heard leaving the Stour Valley. A recording session during Friday night revealed some calling Teal (56) which were new for the year. Otherwise there were a few calling Water Rail, 2 Peregrine and the usual common suspects mostly heard. With some sunshine and better weather forecast for today I thought I would have a hide session for Water Rail. As I often walk around the lake I have been seeing the odd Water Rail on the paths which when I'm seen, they quickly disappear so with this in mind, I have been putting down a few mealworms as I pass by. I have also put my trail camera out on a few evenings which have resulted in a Water Rail which seems to have taken a liking to the meal worms. I decided then this morning to get there early and set up the hide near the path. As I walked around the lake this morning to the area the Water Rail was seen briefly before rushing into the reeds. I was soon set up and with a few mealworms put out, it was a case of just sit and wait. The light early on was not good and it wasn't too long until the Water Rail appeared from the reeds. It was as predicted very skittish with every noise sending it running back in to hide before venturing out again. It slowly got more confident and with the light getting better, I was able to take a number of pleasing images of these secretive birds. With more time I'm sure I can get much better images and will hopefully return soon again to have another go. Before going home I had a brief walk around which revealed c300 Lapwing and a flock of c30 Golden Plover (57) flying quite high to the north. I recorded again Saturday night and going through found a call which I wasn't sure whether it was a wader or duck. A few replies back and it seems the general consensus is that it was a Ringed Plover (58), albeit with a slightly strange call. A new bird for the site. 


View form the hide (Water Rail on the path- honest)
















Water Rail 


Ringed Plover


2 comments:

  1. Great results which are well-deserved after your efforts, Marc. Have you managed to do my trick yet, which is falling asleep in my hide whilst waiting for the action? Done that several times but mainly in warm weather. The other regular problem is when I have to wait for a bird to go so that I can leave the hide without disturbing it when I'm desperate to go for a pee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. Pretty pleased with this set although I'm sure more can be done if the weather and bird plays ball. Falling g asleep has not been an issue yet but that's probably due to it being cold at the moment just sitting there.

      Delete