Thursday 18 August 2022

A couple of visits over the past few days where on each occasion, I have seen 50+ species. Birds of note on the 14th included 1 Turtle Dove, 2 Whinchat, 2 Raven, 1 Marsh Harrier, 1 Kingfisher, 1 Willow Warbler, 3 Yellow Wagtail (117), 2 Corn Bunting (118) while the 16th produced 5 Grey Partridge, 1 Turtle Dove, 1 Mediterranean Gull, 1 Tawny Owl, 2 Raven, 2 Willow Warbler, 1 Lesser Whitethroat, 1 Whinchat, 3 Bullfinch and 2 Yellowhammer. A visit on the 17th Produced 1 Turtle Dove, 1 Redshank heard but probably more as I picked up a flock of waders flying high west, 1 Hobby, 1 Lesser Whitethroat, 1 Mistle Thrush, 1 Whinchat, 1 Yellow Wagtail, 2 Bullfinch and 1 Great black backed Gull (119) flew west. 'Nocmig' recording at night has produced a few things this week including a flock of Ringed Plover, 1 Oystercatcher, 1 Common Sandpiper and 1 Tawny Owl. With 119 species now seen and a few likely birds still to see including Goldcrest and Grey Wagtail, it looks likely that I will at least equal the 121 species which were seen in 2021 but I'm very hopeful that at least 1 more species may be encountered during the autumn. I keep searching the fields and fence posts for a Wheatear but no luck as yet but no doubt something else may turn up. I will keep plugging on!


Whinchat


Coot 


2 comments:

  1. I love that Whinchat shot, Marc - very atmospheric. Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. About as near as I could get. They are so wary but a scarce but annual bird here so any shot is a bonus. Take care.

    ReplyDelete