Thursday 25 August 2022

I spent a good few hours walking the site and adjacent fields yesterday in the hope of finding a Wheatear or Flycatcher. I spent quite a while walking through ploughed fields, grass fields and checking all fence and gate posts but still no Wheatear. If I don't find one, it's not through the lack of trying. On the plus side, I did manage after quite a few hours searching to find a Spotted Flycatcher (122) which was found with a few other species enjoying the warm sunshine. I was able to get lovely views and a few nice photos as it actively fed on insects. This species can be easily missed here each year so a real bonus to find one. Other species noted included 22 Golden Plover in fields, 2 Common Buzzard, 2 Great spotted Woodpecker, 2 Green Woodpecker, 3 Kestrel, 5 Jay, 2 Skylark, 1 Grasshopper Warbler flushed from a grassy path, 21 Swallow, 2 Willow Warbler, 6 Chiffchaff, 4 Blackcap, 2 Lesser Whitethroat, 3 Whinchat and 4 Yellowhammer. Adding Spotted Flycatcher today has beating my best ever year total here which stood at 121 species and with a few species still to get during winter (Grey Wagtail and Goldcrest I hope) I should move this total on a few more and you never know, there may still be the odd surprise during nocmig at night. Recording this week has been generally quiet with Barn and Tawny Owl heard along with Golden Plover. 







Spotted Flycatcher



Whinchat 

2 comments:

  1. Never seen better Spotted Flyycatcher images than those, Marc ! I love the composition and atmosphere in that Whinchat image too. Wonderful stuff! Take good care - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks Richard. I was lucky the Flycatcher accepted me and let me take a few photos. I even sat in the field and had some lunch, such was the confidence of this bird. The Whinchat was taken through a hole in a bush otherwise I would never have got that near. Take care.

    ReplyDelete