Wednesday 27 March 2024

As mentioned in my previous post, there have been a few Stonechats on my last few visits with a couple of males singing which has been been good to hear. Last weekend, I come across a pair with a male singing and seemingly displaying to the female. After watching their movements and seeing them coming back to the same bush on occasions, I got myself into a position and sat down and waited for their arrival. They duly arrived with the female being quite bold and inquisitive with the male being a little cautious but also showing quite well at times with some posturing and tail flicking observed. I was able to get a few nice images of these smart little birds. I hope they stay in the area and hopefully breed like a pair did last year. 'Nocmig' recording has been a little difficult in the past few nights with either quite strong winds or rain but I did get the recorder out last night which produced a Tawny Owl and a booming Bittern (94) at 04:38 heard from the Stour Valley. Given the right wind direction, the call does carry well. Hopefully I can hear it myself over the weekend when I am out early.


























Stonechat 



'Booming' Bittern 


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful shots of the Stonehchats, Marc. Not seen one yet this year, but Merlin said it had heard one from our garden last week. However, I dont have any faith in that because it also claimed a Hooded Crow in the same short period!

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. They are looking really smart at this time of the year. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic photos Marc.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much appreciated Roos for your kind words. Take care.

    ReplyDelete