Tuesday 23 April 2024

I made a visit Sunday morning where despite some nice sunshine, the wind was as strong as ever which made for some testing conditions. birds noted walking around from first light included 25 Mallard, 3 Moorhen, 5 Whimbrel (108) were picked up in flight flying north before coming down in one of the recently ploughed fields. There were 5 Lesser Black backed Gull, 2 Mediterranean Gull, 2 Grey Heron, 2 Sparrowhawk, 1 Common Buzzard, 1 Kestrel, 3 Sedge Warbler, 4 Reed Warbler, 3 Swallow, 1 Willow Warbler, 6 Chiffchaff, 6 Cetti's Warbler, 7 Blackcap, 7 Whitethtroat, 1 Yellow Wagtail, 2 Yellowhammer and 3 Reed Bunting. Recording has been hard of late at night due to the strong winds but I did record a couple of times which produced nothing of note which is disappointing although I did hear 1 Bittern booming and 1 Cuckoo calling as I collected the recorder this morning. I would expect to be picking up the odd wader by now so it's either bad luck on my part or the birds simply aren't moving over the area. Still a lot to play for with quite a few species still expected to be seen and always the hope of a bonus bird recorded during the night passing over.


Reed Bunting



Sedge Warbler

4 comments:

  1. Nice haul and images here Marc, and some anticipation for 'a lot to play for' and the hope of something by way of a bonus bird....Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Pete. I'm always living in the hope of a good bird. Most times it never happens but if you keep visiting... you never know, it could just turn up. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Two cracking shots, Marc. I haven't yet heard a Bittern booming this year, but then I've not been to the right sort of place, as I'm not getting far from home - maybe in a month or so. Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. I luckily recorded 2 Bittern booming at the same time Wednesday night which was a bonus. Take care.

      Delete