Saturday 5 October 2024

With some lovely sunshine and light winds forecast for today, I was out quite early at 05:45 to collect my recorder and spent some time standing out on the marsh listening to the day wake up. 2 Little Owl were calling and as the light picked up, 1 Grey Partridge called and 16 Gadwall flew towards the Stour Valley. I then drove around to Nethergong where I spent a few hours walking most of the patch. Birds noted included Greylag Geese heard, 6 Pheasant, 10 Moorhen, 1 Common Gull, 42 Cormorant, 5 Cattle Egret (126) were just about picked up flying NW before they flew behind some trees and were lost to view. There was 1 Grey Heron, 1 Sparrowhawk, 4 Common Buzzard, 2 Great spotted Woodpecker, 2 Green Woodpecker, 2 Kestrel, 1 Peregrine, 2 Jay, 72 Rook, 25 Skylark, c30 Swallow, c25 House Martin, 13 Chiffchaff, 6 Cetti's Warbler, 6 Long tailed Tit, 3 Goldcrest, 1 Treecreeper, 6 Song Thrush, 3 Stonechat and 1 Pied Wagtail. I was walking around one of the recently ploughed fields when I heard what I thought was a Water Pipit type call and saw two birds drop in to the field. I slowly walked forward and picked up 2 dark pipits which as they made there way slowly nearer, I could see they were 2 ROCK PIPITS (127), a new species for the patch. Despite the distance, I took a few shots to confirm their identification and watched them until they called and flew off strongly towards Reculver. This is a species I only ever see at the coast so to see this species inland is a real bonus and not a bird I even expected to see here. Other bits seen were 1 Meadow Pipit, 15 Chaffinch, 1 Brambling heard, 7 Bullfinch, 2 Greenfinch, 8 Linnet, 7 Corn Bunting and 9 Reed Bunting. 





Rock Pipit (Back of camera shot)





Goldcrest 


No comments:

Post a Comment