Wednesday 20 April 2016

Although there was a stiff easterly breeze tonight which made for a chilly evening, I spent a couple of hours at Nethergong walking the circuit a couple of times. On arrival I walked to the western boundary which overlooks some nice sunny sheltered areas and whilst looking through the binoculars at 2 Grey Herons, a bird appeared in my field of view and flashed a bright red tail. After a brief wait it appeared and flew on to some posts where it showed distantly. It was a female Common Redstart (84), a new bird for the area for me and a definite bonus I would say for the year list. After watching for a while I moved on where I noted 2 Green Woodpecker, 1 Blackcap, 2 Kestrel, 2 Marsh Harrier, 2 Cetti's Warbler, 5 Chiffchaff, 2 Mute Swan, 2 Tufted Duck, 1 Barn Owl and a Lesser Black backed Gull (85) flew south towards Grove Ferry. There were 3 Moorhen, 1 Coot, 3 Stock Dove and the Grasshopper Warbler was briefly heard reeling from the northern reedbed. A nice session and hopefully I can connect with a few more migrants in the next few weeks, namely Willow Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat, Garden Warbler, Swift etc plus a chance of a flyover bonus bird, you never know.

2 comments:

  1. There is more interest in that visit than I have had here for most of the month Marc! LoL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could give it more visits as its got huge potential.

      Delete