Saturday 29 October 2016

I cycled down to Nethergong this morning at 6am and arrived in the dark at 6.30am where I spent c30 minutes sitting on the entrance gate listening into the darkness. With no wind I managed to hear 1 Barn Owl, 2 Tawny and 2 Little Owls, Redwings called as they flew over and 3 Snipe were heard. As the light picked up a Grey Heron flew over and landed in the stream. After locking the bike up, I spent the next 4 hours walking around the site, checking as many areas as I could. I managed to see or hear 55 species which included 2 Grey Heron, c150 Mallard flying towards Grove Ferry early on, c60 Mallard present on the pools with 8 Teal, 2 Mute Swan, 4 Cetti's Warbler, 1 Grey Wagtail, 1 Green Sandpiper, 3 Jay, 2 Green Woodpecker, c40 Fieldfare, 10 Cormorant, 2 Pheasant, 4 Pied Wagtail, 4 Bullfinch and I had good views of a Brambling as it called from the trees. There were 10 Long tailed Tit, c30 Goldfinch, 1 Treecreeper, 9 Stock Dove, 2 Ring necked Parakeet, 5 Meadow Pipit, 1 Kingfisher was seen perching on one of the posts I have put in and with some camouflage netting now arrived, I may well have a few hours in the morning trying my luck to see if it turns up again. Also seen today were 2 Lapwing, 1 Kestrel, 2 Common Buzzard, 2 Lesser Redpoll and 1 Great spotted Woodpecker.

Mute Swan (female)

2 comments:

  1. A Brambling would go down well here Marc......mind you, Mute swans are almost as scarce! Good luck with that Kingfisher :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know whether Brambling would make it on to the year list so it is very much a bonus bird for me but most welcome.

      Delete