Sunday 23 October 2016

I was up and out of the house this morning at 6.15am where I drove over to Nethergong and parked up outside to listen to the day waking up in the darkness. Redwings, Mallard and Teal could be heard calling as they flew over and 1 Tawny and 1 Little Owl were heard calling. As the light picked up slightly, 1 Woodcock flew over the car providing a nice silhouette and my first of the autumn here. After parking up and getting ready, I spent the next 3 and a half hours walking around the site and also sitting for an hour in the hope a Kingfisher would fly by and land on the post. Despite seeing a Kingfisher further down the stream fishing, I never saw one fly past me and I hope that throughout the winter, they get used to the perch and give me the odd photo opportunity. I did see or hear 56 species today which included 3 Cetti's Warbler, 2 Mute Swan, 3 Green Sandpiper, 2 Stonechat, 2 Water Rail calling, 147 Cormorant, 1 Pied Wagtail, 4 Pheasant, 8 Long tailed Tit, 2 Redpoll, 2 Marsh Harrier, 2 Kestrel, 2 Great spotted Woodpecker, 1 Green Woodpecker, 3 Jay and 8 Skylark over. At the frog pond which is now very low, there was a Grey Wagtail which after a bit of patience, I finally managed to grab a few shots of.


Grey Wagtail

There were 2 Mistle Thrush, c20 Fieldfare, 7 Little Egret flew east together, 9 Meadow Pipit, 3 Reed Bunting, 7 Bullfinch, 2 Goldcrest, 1 Ring necked Parakeet, 2 Lapwing, 1 Chiffchaff, 2 Yellowhammer and 2 Siskin. Despite a few looks at the lake for the Little Grebe, I could not find it. Perhaps it has moved on or just hiding in the reeds which they seem very good at. With 2 weeks off work now, hopefully I can get out for the odd visit during this time to see what else is to be found at Nethergong.


Grey Wagtail

2 comments:

  1. How beautiful is the Grey Wagtail, you have done so proud Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. A very wary bird but patience paid off in the end.

      Delete