Monday 20 November 2017

As mentioned in yesterdays post, I made a visit to Nethergong yesterday where upon meeting the owners, they informed me that a visitor to the site had seen a large White heron sized bird with an orange bill in one of the dykes there. I informed them that this was a Great White Egret and that one was currently at Grove Ferry, a stones throw away. I had a good search of the dykes but unfortunately, I only come up with a Little Egret but the owners, Jed and Christine informed me they would let me know should the Egret turn up again. I was at home late afternoon when a message arrive from Christine alerting me that the Great White Egret had duly appeared again and was in the dyke near the bridge. I was soon on my way where a few minutes later, I pulled up and had a quick look. Initially I flushed a Little Egret from the dyke but looking further along the dyke, I could see the Great White Egret standing out like a sore thumb. I slowly made my way along the pathway until I was spotted and it flew up and gave me a lovely flyby in the late afternoon sunshine. A new bird for this site and a most welcome bonus. It didn't fly far and soon landed in the dyke further down next to a Little Egret which provided a quick photo for size comparison before flying off further down the dyke. A great bird to see on this excellent site and fingers crossed for a few more quality birds during the winter. 



Great White Egret

 Great White Egret and Little Egret

Great White Egret at Sunset

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic Marc, and the one together with Little Egret, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. Nice to get them both together and some flight shots in good light.

      Delete