Sunday 19 November 2017

It's been nearly a year since I last updated the site but in between looking and photographing dragonflies this year, I have made some time to fit in some birding and have managed to see a few nice birds throughout the year that I have not encountered at Nethergong. These have included Garden Warbler, Red Kite, Mediterranean Gull, Ring Ouzel and today, a Great White Egret. I will post some photos of the Egret in the week but my last couple of visits have seen me watching and photographing a pair of Bearded Tits, an annual but scarce bird to the site. I don't know if it is the same pair I saw a month ago but today on a visit this morning, I could hear them 'pinging' from the small reedbed on the main lake and after a bit of searching, I managed to find them feeding quietly where with some patience, I was rewarded with a few photo opportunities. With no one else on site now until next April, I'm hoping to find a few good winter birds to photograph and add to the ever growing site list. Other birds seen today included c50 Lapwing, 1 Kestrel, 1 Marsh Harrier, 1 Green Woodpecker, 1 Great spotted Woodpecker, c30 Cormorant, 1 Little Egret, 1 Kingfisher, 1 Grey Wagtail, 1 Yellowhammer, 1 Grey Heron and 1 Sparrowhawk. With the birding bug kicking back in and a quiet site to watch for myself, I think I may well be doing another year list at Nethergong next year. Watch this space.





Bearded Tit (male)

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, those are superb, one I have never photographed. Yours are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a good day in my book if you have seen and photographed a male Bearded Tit. Stunning little birds.

      Delete