Sunday 28 January 2018

I thought as it was nearing the end of January that I had better report on some of the birds I have seen at Nethergong. I have only made 3 visits so far due to one reason or another but hopefully I can continue to make visits throughout February to add to the list. I did spend 4 hours on site on the 1st January until the rain arrived late morning and managed to note 53 species. A few highlights included seeing 1 male Bearded Tit at the lake which seems to have moved on now, 2 Green Woodpecker, 2 Mistle Thrush, 1 Kestrel, 1 Grey Heron, 2 Yellowhammer, c40 Golden Plover, c56 Fieldfare, 1 Marsh Harrier, 1 Grey Wagtail, 36 Lapwing, 2 Reed Bunting, 1 Skylark, 1 Green Sandpiper flushed from the stream, 1 Bullfinch, 1 Cetti's Warbler, 2 Stonechat, 1 Sparrowhawk, 2 Little Egret, 1 Treecreeper, 1 Redwing, 1 Siskin, 2 Ring necked Parakeet and a return visit at dusk saw 1 Barn Owl hunting over the eastern fields. A few days later when I happened to be driving past Nethergong I could see a large Egret standing distantly near the stream which when I looked was obviously the Great White Egret. A good bird to add to the 2018 year list. A couple of visits over this weekend provided a few more birds including 2 Green Sandpiper, c100 Lapwing, c50 Golden Plover flew north, 2 Goldcrest  and 1 Pied Wagtail. With the sun shining today, It was nice to see a Mistle Thrush in song along with Blue and Great Tits starting to chase each other.

2 comments: