Monday 13 January 2020

I made my first visit of the year to Nethergong on Saturday where I aim to see whether I can see or hear 100 species on or around the site during the year. I spent 4 hours walking around the site from 7am in cloudy, breezy conditions where I managed to see a creditable 50 species. Birds of note seen included 2 Barn Owl which were briefly hunting the fields before going to roost around 7:30am. There were 2 Common Buzzard, 2 Green Woodpecker, 34 Cormorant, 2 Kestrel, 1 Cetti's Warbler, 3 Meadow Pipit, 14 Mute Swan, 1 Grey Heron, 1 Marsh Harrier, 1 Bullfinch, 1 Great spotted Woodpecker, 2 Coot (quite scarce here), 7 Fieldfare and 2 Goldcrest. A couple of looks from the gate which looks over the marsh to the east of the site produced 1 Great White Egret in flight 3 times before it landed in a ditch out of sight. Also noted were 1 Little Egret, 1 Mistle Thrush, 1 Woodcock, 2 Stonechat, 2 Jay, 2 Skylark, 2 Yellowhammer and 1 Treecreeper.

2 comments:

  1. What a load of birds, beautiful Marc. The Cetti's Warbler, Woodcock and Yellowhammer I would love to get a good shot them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a bad outing for the first of the year. Like you, I wouldn't mind a shot of a Woodcock either.

      Delete