Sunday 19 January 2020

I spent both Saturday and Sunday morning at Nethergong where on both days, it was sunny, calm but very cold. Birds of note throughout Saturday included 1 Woodcock watched coming into roost, 6 Snipe (51), Teal (52) could be heard as I walked up the northern path before they flew off presumably to Grove Ferry, 2 Grey Heron, 1 Peregrine (53) was seen chasing and catching a Woodpigeon in flight, 2 Coot, 2 Green Woodpecker, 52 Cormorant, c25 Mute Swan, 1 Cetti's Warbler, 1 Water Rail (54) called from within the small reedbed, 2 Common Buzzard, 2 Kestrel, 4 Stonechat, 3 Fieldfare, 1 Jay, 1 Barn Owl, 4 Yellowhammer, 2 Mistle Thrush, 2 Meadow Pipit, 3 Bullfinch, 1 Sparrowhawk (55), 1 Marsh Harrier, 2 Great spotted Woodpecker and 1 Greenfinch. This morning I arrived early hoping to hear maybe a Tawny or Little Owl but despite a good listen, I failed to hear any. Highlights today included 1 Barn Owl, 4 Yellowhammer, 1 Little Egret, 1 Gadwall (56), 2 Kestrel, 2 Cetti's Warbler, 2 Green Woodpecker, 2 Goldcrest, 1 Common Buzzard, 32 Mute Swan, 1 Mistle Thrush, 2 Great spotted Woodpecker, 2 Marsh Harrier, 4 Stonechat and 1 Green Sandpiper (57) flew east along the stream calling.
 
 Blue Tit
 
Robin


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Indeed Bob. I seemed to have forgotten how lovely our common birds are. Makes you appreciate them more seeing them in good numbers at this site.

      Delete
  2. That's a pretty decent list coming along there, Marc. I don't do lists, I just keep records of birds that put a foot down in my garden and, strangely, moths (that I submit to the County Recorder). I have a new year's resolution, however, that I'll submit bird records for the county this year, and odonata records country-wide, probably butterflies too.

    Delightful photos - we shouldn't overlook the common birds as, one day, we might lose them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for the visit and comment Richard. This is quite a small site (700m x 200m) but had produced some good quality birds already. Looking forward to again exploring what might be found... as well as lots of dragonflies.

      Delete