Monday 18 October 2021

With an influx of Brambling taking place in the past week and the year list stuck on 119 species, this seemed to be the ideal species to add to the list so with this in mind, I was eager to arrive early on Saturday morning to give myself the best chance. I arrived just as it was getting light and with a misty windless start to the day, if felt that were birds to be found. I set up the recorder and left this on for the session in the hope that I would capture a few birds. I hadn't been walking long when I heard the familiar call of the first of 2 Brambling (120) heard and seen and soon picked it up as it flew thankfully high over the recorder where I managed to capture the call. I then spent the next few hours walking around where I noted a few good birds including 4 Cetti's Warbler, 1 Green Woodpecker, 6 Jay, 1 Kestrel, 3 Siskin, 1 Great White Egret slowly south towards Grove Ferry, 1 Great spotted Woodpecker, 13 Skylark, 1 Sparrowhawk and 2 Redpoll. There were c14 Redwing, 1 Peregrine, 1 Teal, 2 Grey Wagtail, 3 Yellowhammer, 3 Common Buzzard, 1 Stonechat and 1 Merlin unsuccessfully chasing Skylark. I returned Sunday for a few hours where after capturing Tawny Owl and Little Owl calling overnight, I managed to also add Goldcrest, Greenfinch and Linnet to give me 57 species for the weekend. There were also 3 Brambling noted. I never thought 120 species would be possible but it's amazing to have made it and who knows, there still may be a few surprises yet to add to the list. 




Brambling

No comments:

Post a Comment