Sunday 3 July 2022

I haven't been to Nethergong for a few weeks due to a few dragonfly tours over the past couple of  weekends so it was nice to spend a few hours wandering around over the weekend. July is often known for being quite quiet for birding but over the weekend, I managed to see or hear 55 species, a good total for this month.  A quick call in on the 24th June provided 3 Tufted Duck (105) flying towards Grove Ferry. Birds of note this weekend included 3 Yellowhammer, 5 Chiffchaff, 6 Blackcap, 1 Cetti's Warbler, 3 Grey Heron, 1 Cuckoo still singing, 1 Peregrine, 1 Sparrowhawk, 1 Common Tern, 2 Skylark and bird of the weekend was a summer plumaged Cattle Egret (106) which was seen flying south towards Grove Ferry early morning and picked up a while later flying north towards Reculver. This was also a new bird for the site. Other birds included 1 immature / female Mandarin Duck (107) which flew along the ditch and then landed . I was able to see it briefly in the ditch as I passed by a while later. There were 6 Swift, 1 Sedge Warbler, 5 Swallow, 2 Raven, 8 Reed Warbler, 1 Marsh Harrier and 2 Kestrel. 'Nocmig' recording at night over the weekend only produced 1 Little Grebe and 1 Green Sandpiper of note. 


Cattle Egret 



Mandarin 

4 comments:

  1. An impressive list of sightings, Marc. You did well to get the flight shot of the Mandarin.

    Took me a long while to find a way of leaving a comment. It kept asking me to sign into my Google account when I was already signed in!

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right time, right place. Only my second record there in about 8 years. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Stunning sight of a Mandarin, I love it.

    ReplyDelete