Tuesday 24 May 2022

After calling into Pegwell Bay for the second time in two days to see the Caspian Tern which I did thankfully see this time and seeing c10 Red Kite coming in off the sea, I decided to call into Nethergong to see whether any of the Kites would make it there. In changeable conditions from sunshine to thunder and heavy rain I managed to see a remarkable 53 Red Kite. They were certainly on the move with groups of fours and sixes often appearing overhead as well as one group of 11 birds. This is by far the most I have seen at this site of this species and to see this spectacle was just superb. Other bits seen included 4 Common Buzzard, 1 Peregrine, 2 Raven, c20 Swift, 8 House Martin (102), 2 Sand Martin (103) and my first ever record here of Scarce Chaser. Despite the weather, another excellent session. Today (Wednesday) 7 Red Kite flew west, 1 Raven was seen along with a Hobby and 2 Turtle Dove (104) flew through the site. 




Red Kite 

1 comment:

  1. That influx of Red Kites must have been wonderful to behold, Marc! We're very lucky in that I can probably turn up a Red Kite with certainty not too far from my home. Stay safe - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete