Sunday 27 November 2022

With some sunshine forecast for late morning yesterday, I wanted to have another go in the hide to see whether any Jays would turn up. I have topped up the log twice this week after work in the dark and each time, everything has gone which is encouraging. Before settling in to the hide, I had a wander around about 08:30 and managed to see 2 Raven, 3 Woodcock, 2 Yellowhammer, 1 Marsh Harrier and a few Redwing and Fieldfare. Birding a patch can at times be hard work but little did I know what was about to happen. I have been checking all the Stonechats on each visit in the hope a Dartford Warbler would be with them (in my dreams) but as ever, I normally draw a blank. They tend to be more coastal but occasionally you get inland birds. There are a few bits of habitat which the Stonechats like and after a walk yesterday, I found 2 Stonechats but this time, a third bird appeared with them. I raised the binoculars and was stunned to see a male DARTFORD WARBLER (136). I couldn't believe my eyes and made sure I had a good view before trying for a few photos. The bird was on the other side of the stream so most attempts were distant. Add the issue of my focal points being in the wrong place made for some frustrating photography until I realised a while later. I managed to rattle off a few shots before the Stonechats moved off and the Warbler followed everywhere they went. I hoped they would cross the stream at some point so found a position and hoped they would come my way. They did! I waited patiently until they made there way past me and I was able to get a few more images of this first for the area and patch. Not the greatest of images but who cares. What an amazing bird to get in the area and to find.














Dartford Warbler - male


I left them in peace and skipped back to the wood where the feeding station was. I almost couldn't care if a Jay didn't appear on the log (which it didn't) but I heard them nearby again. I spent a while in the hide where a few birds visited including a smart Great spotted Woodpecker which provided me with a few images.


Great spotted Woodpecker - male


A couple of hours later and I decided to go for a wander around to stretch the legs. Typical then that when I returned, a Jay was by the log! I called it a day but returned in the late afternoon to see whether any Hen Harriers or Short eared Owls were out on the marsh. They weren't. I did note the Common Crane flying back towards Grove Ferry though as well as a few Redwing and Fieldfare going to roost. Sunday dawned rainy but I thought I had better have a walk around. Not much noted apart from a soaking but I did see 3 Kestrel, 2 Peregrine, 1 Yellowhammer, 1 Marsh Harrier, c150 Cormorant, 4 Stonechat but no sign of the Dartford Warbler today. The feeding station log was empty again so I topped it up and also put down a good number of rotting apples in the hope of Redwing or Fieldfare. Hopefully next week will provide another hide session. What a weekend with the list now moving on to 136 species. Brilliant. 




Stonechat - male

2 comments:

  1. What a fantastic record, Marc - and you got some super shots too. Dartford Warbler is a species that I have never seen. They used to have their northernmost colony on Cannock Chase, which is only about 35 miles from me, but the whole habitat got destroyed by a fire some years ago.

    Best wishes - take good care - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An amazing record and just goes to show if you keep working an area what can turn up. A quite brilliant year at Nethergong this year. Take care.

      Delete