Sunday 4 December 2022

Having topped up the feeding station log twice during the week in the dark before work, I was quite keen over the weekend to spend a few hours in the hide to see whether any Jays ideally were regularly using it. The only problem was the dark cloudy skies that were forecast all weekend but I thought I would give it a go anyway. I arrived on Saturday at 9am where I spent two and a half hours in the hide before the feet were so cold, I had to pack up and go for a walk. Despite less than ideal conditions, with the ISO pushed up, photos were passable. It wasn't long until I could hear Jays in the wood and with visits already from Blue and Great Tits, Robins, I was optimistic that one might turn up. A few minutes later and a Jay flew on to the log. I resisted taking any photos and wanted to let the Jay start feeding and get used to the hide. After a while the Jay flew off but soon returned again. This time I rattled off some photos and with the Jay staying for a couple of minutes, it was great to see the work paying off already. It would of been nice to have some sunshine but I'm hoping if I keep feeding the area, I will get my chance.










Jay

Other birds noted from the hide included 2 Raven and Redwing and Fieldfare could be heard and seen in the wood. I've put down a few apples which hopefully might bring them in. I was dropped off again this morning at 9:15am and after setting up the hide and topping up the log, I settled in again for another couple of hours. Blue and Great Tits along with Robins were soon coming in as was a male Great spotted Woodpecker. After an hour, a Jay suddenly appeared on the log and began feeding on the crushed fat balls. He retuned twice more where I was able to take yet more photos of this stunning bird which over the past 10 years of so of trying, I was now able to get some half decent images. Redwings were seen feeding in the background but didn't have the confidence to come into the open to feed. Treecreepers were seen along with Bullfinch, Goldcrest and Raven overhead. With some photos in the bag, I packed up and decided to go for a walk around the site and area. A very good decision as within a few minutes of walking through the fields, I saw a Great White Egret along with a Grey Heron on the stream, 1 Common Crane flew up from the fields and was watched flying back towards Grove Ferry and most surprisingly of all, I managed to re-find the Dartford Warbler from last Sunday in the presence of 3 Stonechat. What a result and some quality birds for the area. It would be nice if they winter in the area. Other birds noted included c300 Lapwing, 3 Kestrel, 2 Raven, c200 Fieldfare, 1 Common Buzzard, 12 Mute Swan, c25 Skylark, c15 Meadow Pipit and 1 Yellowhammer. A fantastic few days on the patch. I've a few other projects in the pipeline with the Kingfishers which I don't think are using the posts yet and I'm feeding mealworms to an area around the lake in the hope a Water Rail will start to feed on them. Either way, plenty to do and see over the winter at this very special place. 






Jay 

4 comments:

  1. I see that the acorns are working well, Marc! I can see that you've found a great winter 'local patch' in Nethergong. Make the most of it before the campers return in the spring. Best wishes - take good care - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The acorns and fat balls seem to be the favourites. Just nice to see such a lovely bird at close range and even a few shots too. Will try to put a few more natural mossy logs out soon I think. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Wow, the pictures of a Jay is absolutely beautiful, thanks Marc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. Waited years to get a chance to photograph this species. Take care.

      Delete