Sunday 22 January 2023

I have made 3 visits since the start of the year where the year list has moved to a respectable 65 species so far, one more than in January 22. Birds of note have included 1 Great White Egret, 2 Woodcock, 5 Yellowhammer, 1 Merlin, 1 Little Owl, 1 Barn Owl, 1 Tawny Owl, 3 Marsh Harrier, 1 Little Egret, 2 Raven, 1 Peregrine, 5 Lapwing, 2 Common Snipe, 7 Stonechat, 1 Grey Partridge heard and 4 Greenfinch. I was amazed yesterday when I went down late afternoon to see whether any Harriers or Owls were around when I re-found the Dartford Warbler which I found on the 26th November. I was able to get scope views as it followed 2 Stonechat closely. I did have a look for it this morning but despite finding some Stonechat, I did not find it. No doubt It's around somewhere hiding. I have had a few 'nocmig' sessions where the aim has been to try and see whether Long eared Owl is in the area and I'm pretty sure I recorded one a few nights ago. It's pretty faint and probably requires headphones to hear it but it's the nearest to success I have come so far. Hopefully I can get lucky if I keep trying on still calm nights. 





Great White Egret 


'Presumed' Long eared Owl 


2 comments:

  1. Hi Marc. You seem to be off to a very good start with your Nethergong Year List. Nice atmospheric shots of the GWE. I can hear nothing on my PC from your sound clip. Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes nice to get off to a good start. The recording is very faint, I can just about hear it but it seems to be a Long eared Owl calling. I'm trying most nights when the weather is good to try to get some more recordings. You never know. Take care.

      Delete