Tuesday 27 December 2022

With some sunshine forecast for yesterday, I thought I would have a couple more hours in the hide in the hope a Jay would come in. It's getting quite addictive but to see a Jay at c4 metres range and be able to get a few photos, what's not to like! I had changed the log a few days earlier and found an old mossy one which I drilled a few holes in to put the peanuts in. After loading up the wheelbarrow with all the equipment, I made the short walk to the woodland clearing where after topping up the log, I settled into the hide and waited. Straight away the Blue and Great Tits arrived along with the four Robins. Long tailed Tits passed through along with a Great spotted and Green Woodpecker, Redwing and Fieldfare could be heard in the nearby trees but after about 45 minutes, I could hear Jays calling nearby. One soon appeared in the trees and nervously made its way down to the log. I didn't want to spook it so let it fill up on peanuts before it flew off and could be seen burying them close by. It was soon back again and over the next hour, made four or five visits where I was able to rattle off a few pleasing images in good light. Probably my best session yet and worth the cold feet again. I should be done really with this project now but I know I'll be back there soon again in the hide waiting for the next Jay opportunities. Only a few days to go now until the new year starts again. 'Nocmig' recording on a few nights has failed to capture any Long eared Owl noises but Barn and Little Owl have been heard along with Golden Plover. Hopefully I can get out again in the next few days, I would like a dusk session to see whether any Hen Harrier or Short eared Owls are in the area before the years end. 











Jay 

2 comments:

  1. You've really come up trumps ( can we still use that expression?!) with this set, Marc - absolutely splendid. My very best wishes to you and the family for 2023 - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. I like to think if you put in the effort, the rewards will come to you. In this case, they were thankfully received. Take care.

      Delete