Tuesday 16 May 2023

Having stumbled across a Kingfisher nest in the Nethergong area recently, I spent some time watching where the adults were landing prior to entering the nest. I soon found that they were stopping at a small tree and decided that I would try and get my hide set up nearby to capture a few photos. Early Saturday, I arrived and in between feeds to the nest, quickly set up the hide and settled in for a few hours. It wasn't long until they soon arrived at the tree and I was then able to set about capturing a few pleasing photos of these stunning birds. Just to be able to watch them up close was just amazing and it was interesting to note that the female visited many more times with suitable sized fish whilst the male visited less often but with always much bigger prey. I left them in peace but returned Sunday morning for a few more hours in the hope the sun would be shining. It wasn't but the time was well spent obtaining a few more photos and just enjoying being in their company as they busily fed there young nearby. Just a real privilege to have these birds nesting on the patch and the first real time I have managed to find a nest. Fingers crossed that they fledge successfully and all being well, I look forward to seeing them flying up and down the stream very soon.  














Male Kingfisher 








Female Kingfisher


4 comments:

  1. Hello Mark, Great catch!!! Love your header as well.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Roos. I probably won't take a much better photo than this ever of this species. Take care.

      Delete
  2. These are gobsmackingly beautiful shots of this fabulous pair of birds Marc. I'm really green with envy. Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. One of my best sets ever I think. Just amazing to watch from a few metres away. Take care.

      Delete