Wednesday 29 December 2021

Having birded Nethergong leisurely since 2016, it was only last year that I started to visit more to see what potential this site has. The answer was quite a lot and with its location situated between Reculver and Grove Ferry, its certainly well placed to have fly over quality birds and the occasional goodie land on site. I decided this year to have a good go at a year list to see whether I could challenge the 110 species I saw or heard in 2020. One advantage I had this year was the ability to make sound recordings at night (nocmig) which basically involves recording with a device and then through a computer programme, you are able to view the sonograms and identify the birds (most of the time). I have a few lists I keep at Nethergong, a list involving all the birds I have seen and heard, a list of the birds I have recorded at night but not personally seen and a life and a life list involving all records seen on and around the site. For the purpose of the year list, I record all birds I have seen and heard as well as recorded during nocmig sessions at night. This year has certainly turned up a few good birds at night including 5 records of Common Scoter, a flock of Brent Geese, Wigeon, Avocet, Little ringed Plover, White fronted Goose, Curlew, Whimbrel, Common and Green Sandpiper, Bittern, Oystercatcher, Redshank, Water Rail, Little Grebe as well as regular Barn, Tawny and Little Owl. I'm sure there are plenty more species that are to be recorded in the next few years which almost certainly pass over during migration. I'm hopeful of Stone Curlew, Wood Sandpiper, Ringed Plover and Dunlin which are all possibilities. Back to some personal highlights this year which included 3 Raven in January which lingered for quite some time, February peaked with 6 Great White Egret feeding out on the marsh from the east gate and a max count of 10 Woodcock during the cold spell, A flyover Caspian Gull in March while April produced 6 Ring Ouzel but my personal highlight was finding a juvenile WHITE TAILED EAGLE early one evening. Despite being from the Isle of Wight reintroduction, this did not in any way take away the immense feeling of finding such a magnificent bird on the patch. If only I had my camera that evening there would have been some nice photos as it made a close pass by at one point. Add many other commoner species as well as a few bonus birds and including yesterdays group of Great Black backed Gull (121) flying through, I have managed to see, hear or record 121 species throughout the year. This is a total I never thought I would be able to get on what is generally a small site but clearly, well enriched with bird and wildlife. No doubt some birds have been missed this year flying through but what is obvious is that Nethergong definitely has a lot of potential. I'm not too sure if I can get near the total next year but I will give it a try and most of all, enjoy what birding has to offer locally. The last month has seen me making a few feeding stations and using my hide, enjoy and photograph the birds that visit. I have a few plans in the pipeline including perches out for Kingfishers, feeding a few areas around the lake to encourage Water Rails to feed in the open and plenty of fallen apples near the hide in the hope Redwing and Fieldfare may at some point come down to feed. If we have a prolonged cold spell next year, this may well work. It's at least added another dimension to the birding this year. With just one more session tomorrow, I shall give it one more go to see whether that Hen Harrier appears from the east gate, it hasn't so far after hours and hours of watching but you never know. All that's left to say is good birding and a Happy New Year. 


Feeding Station from the hide
 

2 comments:

  1. That's a magnificent feeding station you've got set up there, Marc. No wonder, with your photographic skills and a comfortable hide, you're getting such splendid results. I've been racking my brain (what little I have left!) for somewhere I could safely set up my hide without the certainty of it being trashed by vandals. Maybe, I'll just have to set up in my garden, as recent visitors have included Siskin, Redpoll, Brambling and Blackcap, with the last two being regulars at the moment.

    I'm hoping that you have an excellent New Year ahead of you - stay safe - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. I've been very lucky to get permission to make this at Nethergong and as there are no campers around, it seems all safe at the moment. I really enjoy the sessions and hopefully can expand these to Kingfishers and Redwing and Fieldfare. If nothing else it's comfortable and nice to chill out. You should set up a hide in your garden. A few mossy logs and you will be away. Take care and wishing you a Happy New Year.

      Delete