Sunday 2 January 2022

I had intended to bird the Stour Valley on New Years Day but with a painful knee at the moment (operation in 4 weeks time hopefully) I instead thought I would bird most of the day at Nethergong where the walking is greatly reduced. I arrived at 6:45am where I sat in the car in the layby opposite the site and listened to the day waking up. The first birds of the year were Greylag Geese which could be heard calling from the Stour Valley. As the light picked up I made the first of a few laps of the site and also checking the surrounding fields where in a few hours I had logged 51 species, very respectful for this small site and the time of the year. Most of the common birds were seen or heard but a few obvious omissions included Dunnock, Reed Bunting, Marsh Harrier and Pied Wagtail. I'm pretty sure I heard a Brambling calling but listening again for its called proved fruitless. Other birds of note seen or heard included 2 Woodcock, 1 Snipe, 2 Grey Heron, 1 Kingfisher, 2 Green Woodpecker, 1 Treecreeper, c200 Fieldfare, 1 Water Rail, 1 Yellowhammer, 3 Common Buzzard, 3 Jay, c180 Lapwing, 3 Sparrowhawk, 1 Mistle Thrush, 1 Little Egret and 2 Stonechat. Around midday and with the sun shining I had an hour or so in the hide watching and photographing the birds. Annoyingly as I arrived 2 Jays were feeding on the apples I had put out but they didn't return after. The local species kept me and the camera entertained though and I ended up with a few more photos. After another walk of the site and a check at the eastern gate for raptors where nothing else was added, I left for a brief look at the Stour Valley at dusk. A pleasant casual day and always nice to get the year list started again. 


Blue Tit


Chaffinch - female


Great Tit


Magpie


Robin


Great spotted Woodpecker - female

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing place Nethergong is, Marc! If it was not for Covid, I would be feeling very tempted to go and stay there for a few days in the summer. Cracking shots, as always. I hope that the knee is sorted soon. Best wishes for 2022 - stay safe - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. It's certainly full of surprises. Take care.

      Delete