Sunday 12 December 2021

I thought I would have a few more hours in the hide this morning at Nethergong so after arriving at 7:15am and seeing 1 Woodcock and hearing 2 Snipe calling in the growing light, I had a walk around the site first thing seeing 1 Marsh Harrier and a few calling Fieldfare and Redwing before getting the hide set up. I decided to slightly move my set up so that I could give myself more of a chance with some Chaffinch which often feed on the floor nearby. The area also gives me more light and a better view of the surrounding area as well as having some water and reeds next to me. After settling down in cloudy conditions it wasn't long until the Blue, Great Tits and Robins were flying in and feeding on the log. A few shots were taken to see what the background would look like but with the light quite poor, the results were soon deleted. A male Great spotted Woodpecker flew in a few times and 2 Water Rail appeared in the background feeding on the edge of the grass catching worms. A record shot was taken but I would like to have a go at these in the future if they keep using this area. After a while the sun started to break through which was not predicted but most welcome and after topping up the log, I spent another hour photographing mostly Blue Tits in lovely light. They really are stunning birds up close. A few Chaffinch landed on the log a few times and it seems there confidence is improving. A Jay was seen to land nearby but didn't come down but now they know food is there, hopefully they will return. Long tailed Tits could be heard and Moorhen fed on the grass. I think we need a good cold spell to get a few other species in maybe but it's certainly been quite entertaining sitting there watching the birds up close. A wander around the site before I left didn't yield the hoped for Hen Harrier but a pleasant session nonetheless.  












Blue Tit



Chaffinch



Water Rail

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos with great light, Marc. The Water Rail is really special, however - always a bonus to see one! Stay safe - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. I'm liking this winter project. Sitting still, flask and food. Beautiful light today showing them off well. Take care.

      Delete