Sunday 26 February 2023

A kind of lazy weekend with most of my time spent putting in a new two and a half metre pond into my garden but I did have a couple of session in the hide on Saturday and Sunday morning and a brief walk around the area. Birds of note seen included up to 4 Jay with a couple of birds coming into the feeding station a few times giving me my best photo opportunities yet. It was fascinating watching them collect the peanuts and then bury them, making sure that they were carefully covered by leaves. Other birds seen included 3 Great spotted Woodpecker, 2 Green Woodpecker, 1 Barn Owl, 1 Teal, 2 Grey Partridge, 2 Coot, 1 Grey Heron, 2 Marsh Harrier including a displaying male, 1 Sparrowhawk, 1 Common Buzzard, 2 Kestrel, 2 Raven, 11 Skylark, 1 Cetti's Warbler, 150 Starling, c50 Redwing, 63 Fieldfare, 2 Bullfinch, 5 Greenfinch, 2 Yellowhammer and 1 Reed Bunting. Still quiet on the 'Nocmig' front with only Barn and Tawny Owl recorded during the week but hopefully it will pick up soon with March around the corner. 




Great spotted Woodpecker (female)
 





Jay 


Grey Partridge




4 comments:

  1. Wonderful shots, Marc, with even the Grey Partridge shot being special. Did you feel at all tempted to photoshop that peanut out of the first image?

    Two and a half metre pond? I guess that's width, not depth. I used to have a pond that was 2 metres deep and had to get the local sub-aqua club in with breathing gear to sort out a problem at the bottom of it. It got filled in about 20 years ago. I hope that the new pond means that you've not given up on the Odonata?

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think about it but quite liked the nut actually so left it in. Getting back into the dragonflies so I suspect the other blog will burst back into life at some point. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful photos Marc. Great details as well.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Roos. My best Jay shots to date yet. Take care.

      Delete