Monday 12 February 2024

A few hours spent at Nethergong over the weekend and this morning produced a calling Little Owl and Barn Owl Saturday morning with another Barn Owl seen in the headlights as I pulled up at Nethergong. A Raven was seen this morning and c200 Fieldfare were in the fields along with the usual gulls which included a Mediterranean Gull. A walk around the Sunflower field produced c30 Chaffinch, c20 Goldfinch, c15 Greenfinch, 10 Linnet and at least 5 Brambling with a smart male present. Also seen were 3 Grey Heron, 2 Peregrine, 2 Kestrel and 1 Sparrowhawk. Recording on the night of the 10th February produced 1 Tawny Owl, 1 Mediterranean Gull and best of all, a single call from a Long eared Owl (80). I had been told this location might deliver the chance of an encounter and so it was pleasing to know they are around. The recorder is out there again tonight in the hope of another chance of hearing it. As I walked around the area today with Firecrest in mind, I picked up on a crest singing from some trees and was pleased to see there were 2 Firecrest (81). I watched for a few minutes as the male continued to sing and display to the female which enabled me to grab a few pleasing images from quite close as they ignored my presence. What stunning little birds and great to add to the year list which are just about annual. Hopefully recording at night might produce a few bonus birds and with March around the corner and birds beginning to migrate, I'm hopeful of a few passing through.  

















Firecrest 




Long eared Owl 

2 comments:

  1. You really are getting some great sightings, Marc. The Firecrest images are superb, with those showing the crest displayed being spectacular - I don't think I've ever seen an image of a Firecrest in full display mode before!

    Best wishes - take good care - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty pleased with the Firecrest images. What little stunners they are. Take care.

      Delete