Saturday 6 March 2021

Back at work this week so no visits to Nethergong although I did record during the night of the 3rd March which was very rewarding. With little wind but very foggy, I recorded a flock of Brent Geese (82) flying over calling and a little later, 1 Common Scoter (83) flew over calling. Whilst I thought that Brent Geese may be on the cards as they migrate over land at night, the Common Scoter was not on the radar but a most welcome addition to the area list.

Common scoter


Brent Geese

I made a visit to Nethergong this morning arriving at 6am where I spent four hours walking around the area in generally cloudy conditions but with occasional sunny spells. I really wanted to try out my new camera, a Canon 7d mark ii which arrived in the week. It may take a little getting used too but the signs look encouraging. Birds noted this morning included 1 Barn Owl, 7 Pheasant, 2 Green Woodpecker, 3 Kestrel, c30 Cormorant, Greylag Geese could be heard over the Stour Valley, 2 White fronted Geese flew north, c40 Fieldfare, 1 Mistle Thrush, 1 Great White Egret, c50 Redwing, 2 Grey Heron, 1 Greenfinch and 3 Reed Bunting. 

Reed Bunting (male)


White fronted Goose


There were 6 Stock Dove, 4 Yellowhammer, 1 Kingfisher, 2 Jay, 1 Great spotted Woodpecker, 2 Bullfinch, 3 Long tailed Tit, 6 Common Buzzard, c30 Mute Swan, 1 Sparrowhawk, 1 Water Rail, 1 Siskin, 2 Marsh Harrier, 5 Skylark, 1 Grey Wagtail and 1 Goldcrest.

Siskin (male)

As I stood at the Eastern gate, a few gulls were moving through and I picked out one which had an obvious white ontrast between the head and body. although distant, I took a couple of shots and after zooming in, thought that the bird looked interesting. I sent a photo to Andy Lawson who confirmed that it was indeed a Caspian Gull (84), a very good bird to get inland in these parts of Kent. Hopefully recording again tonight and a visit tomorrow. 



Caspian Gull

2 comments:

  1. Some great sightings, and super shots there, Marc, but that Caspian Gull was a fantastic record!

    Take good care - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. Yes, very rare in these parts and to get one inland over little old Nethergong is quite incredible. Glad I realised it was something different. A right bonus bird for the list.

      Delete