Sunday 28 March 2021

I was up and out of the house Saturday morning at 05:15 where a few minutes later, I pulled up at the bridge at Nethergong. I spent half an hour listening to the day wake up and listing the birds I could see or hear. The surprise of the morning was at 05:40 when I could hear the sound of a Bittern (85) booming from the direction of the Stour Valley. It called a few times after that before going quiet. I then parked up in Nethergong and spent a few hours walking around in the sunshine and windy conditions. Birds noted included 2 Cetti's Warbler, 2 Fieldfare but no Redwing recorded, 2 Linnet, 1 Greylag Goose flew over and another seen a short while after in the ditch with what seemed like a broken wing. I have seen a few casualties of late including 2 Mute Swans which no doubt have collided with the power lines overhead too. there were 2 Skylark, 1 Green Woodpecker, 1 Goldcrest, 1 Sparrowhawk, 1 Grey Wagtail, 1 Marsh Harrier, 1 Kestrel, 2 Raven and 1 Great spotted Woodpecker. Whilst walking through the woods, 2 Treecreeper were singing and showing well which allowed me to spend some time taking a few images and trying to get used to using the Canon 7d mark ii. Also noted were 4 singing Chiffchaff, 1 Bullfinch, 1 Jay, 1 Yellowhammer, 1 Peregrine, 4 Reed Bunting, 3 Coot, 2 Common Buzzard, 1 Kingfisher and 4 Long tailed Tit. Nocturnal recordings this week have generally been quite quiet with only the usual suspects noted but with April here soon, I'm confident of  a few more good birds yet passing through as they migrate. 








Treecreeper

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful images for Treecreeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. Made a change for them to stay still for. Take care.

      Delete
  2. A really impressive list of sightings, Marc, and great shots of the Treecreeper. I admire your dedication with those early starts. It's something that I'm not likely to be doing for a while as I suspect that such an effort would be none too productive local to me and, at my age, I'm not going to put myself to too much discomfort when there's unlikely to be anything much as a result of it! When the warmer weather comes, I might be tempted!

    Stay safe - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. I love the early starts although as I get older, its getting harder to get up. The peace of no one around and the early bird song is enough for me to know I've made the right decision. Take care.

      Delete