Friday 2 April 2021

Definitely a hit and miss week at Nethergong during the past week. Last Sunday, with the strong winds, I decided to stay at home which was quite costly as a juvenile White tailed Eagle from the Isle of Wight reintroduction programme was seen at Reculver and then at Stodmarsh during the morning. Even more frustrating was that looking at the flight data from the transmitter, It flew east of Nethergong and spent a while around the St Nicholas at wade area. Had I been watching from the eastern gate, I would have almost certainly seen the bird. More frustration during the week when on Wednesday, a White Stork was seen at Stodmarsh and later at Shuart near Reculver. Another same situation as if I was watching from the gate, I may well have seen it flying near Shuart. I did make a brief visit to Nethergong during the week after work and managed to see 1 Swallow (86) and heard 3 Blackcap (87) singing. With the temperatures in the low twenties, there were plenty of Butterflies on the wing and I must have seen c25 Peacock, 1 Large White, 3 Small Tortoiseshell and 1 Brimstone. A few sessions recording during the nights produced an Avocet (88) on Wednesday, only my second record in c5 years recording here. With two weeks off work now, I'm hopeful of a few visits where migrants should start appearing more regularly and I can hopefully move the list on to reach 100 species again. Weather permitting, I will be recording regularly during the nights where i'm hopeful of a few more bonus species for the list. 

Avocet 

Chiffchaff

2 comments:

  1. Good listening to Marc, I was listening Chiffchaff when I was out alone, beautiful noise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. The sound that Spring has arrived.

      Delete