Friday 9 April 2021

With some sunny weather forecast for today, I was dropped off at Nethergong at 09:30am where I spent four hours walking around the site and enjoying the quite warm sunshine. Birds noted today included 1 Little Owl calling on my arrival, 1 Marsh Harrier, 1 Great spotted Woodpecker, 6 Chiffchaff, 2 Cetti's Warbler, 4 Swallow, 2 Kestrel, 2 Pheasant, 2 Blackcap, 2 Stock Dove, 3 Reed Bunting, 2 Linnet, 3 Greenfinch, 1 Bullfinch, 8 Mute Swan, 2 Skylark, 5 Cormorant, 2 Green Woodpecker and 1 Meadow Pipit. There were 7 Common Buzzard, 2 Grey Heron, 2 Long tailed Tit, 1 Reed Warbler (91) in song at the lake, 2 Sparrowhawk, 1 Siskin, 1 Yellow Wagtail (92) flew north calling, 1 Kingfisher, 1 Coot, 1 Sand Martin (93) and 2 House Martin (94). I also noted 1 Orange Tip, 3 Peacock, 1 Small Tortoiseshell and 1 Comma around the site. Recording during the night produced a vocal Little Owl but the highlights were 2 flocks of Common Scoter migrating overland at 01:52am and 02:52am calling. 

Common Scoter 


Chiffchaff


2 comments:

  1. More impressive records, Marc, and not an uncomfortably early start either!

    Wonderful shot of the Chiffchaff with blossom.

    Have you got involved with the BDS 'Adopt a Site' initiative? I've put my name down for four sites relatively local to me, one of which has no public access to and I was invited to survey by Forestry England.

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    Best wishes - -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. It was nice to arrive slightly later and get a few new birds for the year too. I've not adopted a sight yet although I should have a look and get involved really. No dragons yet but this coming week could see a few emerging... hopefully. Take care.

      Delete