Sunday 22 May 2022

Highlights over the past few weeks have included up to 3 Cuckoo, 2 Marsh Harrier, 1 Peregrine, 2 Lapwing, 3 Yellowhammer, 2 Raven, 1 Shelduck (94) flew north on the 7th May, the first 2 Swift (95), 1 Garden Warbler (963 Hobby (97) and Common Sandpiper (98) were seen on the 14th May. 'Nocmig' recording on the night of the 14th May also produced a flyover Little Ringed Plover (99)) and Whimbrel (100). A visit yesterday 21st May will be one to remember for quite a few years. Since I started birding this site c8 years ago I have wanted to see or hear the mythical Golden  Oriole, a rare bird in Kent. With quite a few being seen over the past few days around the country I made an early visit in the hope of listening out for one as the habitat is good for this species here. At just after 6am and atvthe east end gate, I picked up a call behind me which I straight away knew was a Golden Oriole (101). Already elated at having such a good bird on site, I started to walk the path to where it was calling when I picked out a bird flying over the tree tops. Raising my binoculars I was pleased to see a male Golden Oriole in all its glory flying west and out of sight. Feeling even more pleased to have seen one, I continued on along the path with the intention of listening again at a row of Poplar trees. I hadn’t walked much further when I heard another Golden Oriole singing. The timing must have meant there were 2 Golden Oriole singing as there was no way the other could have turned back in only a few seconds to where it was calling. I spent the next 45 minutes listening to the fluty type song along with the Jay type call before it fell silent. I did record a video on my phone of the Oriole singing which when I get my laptop back from being repaired, I will endeavour to see if I can put up some sounds on the blog. What an unbelievable encounter of a magical bird. I honestly thought I would never see one here despite trying every year and hoping to catch one on the recorder. All those hours suddenly seemed worth it now. With 100 species seen now the list is moving on nicely. Still a few species missing including Sand and House Martin and Yellow Wagtail which I'm sure will fall soon. There's always a chance of a wader flying over at night too. I have a few nights worth of listening to do when the computer is returned and hopefully a few pleasing Cuckoo images. A pretty good few weeks on the site though. I wonder what will be next? 






Cuckoo



Golden Oriole 


3 comments:

  1. Pretty well done it Marc, I find the Golden Oriole is one I happen not get to camera, awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bob. Notoriously hard to see, let alone photograph. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marc. Sorry for the late visit - been away on the outer Hebrides. These are super photos of a bird that is difficult enough to find, let alone photograph!. Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete