Sunday 1 May 2022

I had a very brief visit at Nethergong yesterday where I managed to hear my first Cuckoo (91) of the year calling distantly to the north. Having tried to hear Bittern for the past few weeks from the layby, the north wind has made it hard for any calls to travel towards me but with the winds now moving around to the south, I was hopeful that I might get a chance this morning. I arrived at 05:30 this morning and after putting the window down, I could almost immediately hear the booming of a Bittern (92) calling. Always nice to hear this sound coming from the Stour Valley. I heard the call on and off for the next hour as I walked around the site. Birds noted this morning included 7 Cetti's Warbler, 8 Whitethroat, 3 Yellowhammer, 6 Chiffchaff, 1 Mistle Thrush, 1 Green Woodpecker, 1 Barn Owl, 1 Great spotted Woodpecker, 2 Reed Bunting, 5 Jay and 1 Cuckoo was seen and heard and I also made a recording. There were 3 Blackcap, 2 Greylag Geese, 4 Long tailed Tit, 2 Sedge Warbler, 5 Reed Warbler, 40 Swallow mainly flying north in small groups, 1 Linnet, 1 Nightingale (93) singing at the west end of the recording area, 3 Skylark, 2 Marsh Harrier, 1 Coot, 1 Grey Heron, 3 Bullfinch and 4 adult Mediterranean Gull flying high south. 'Nocmig' recording at night continues to be very quiet with very little heard. 


Cuckoo
 

No comments:

Post a Comment