Monday 12 December 2022

A quite incredible year at Nethergong this year with 136 species seen, heard or recorded, compared to 121 species in 2021. I like to think that I have certainly put Nethergong on the map and have shown with a number of visits and recording during 'nocmig', what can be found. This year I have seen and found 8 new birds on the patch which included Cattle Egret, Common Crane, Grey Plover, Black tailed Godwit, Wheatear, Nuthatch, Dartford Warbler and Golden Oriole. 'Nocmig' birds included Brent Geese, Wigeon, Common Scoter, Quail, Oystercatcher, Little ringed Plover, Ringed Plover, Dotterel, Curlew, Greenshank and Tree Pipit. This takes my personal list to 142 species and site list to 149 species if 'nocmig' birds are added. There have been many highlights from personally finding Dartford Warbler and Common Crane in the area through to recording Quail and Dotterel during 'nocmig' sessions... but there is one outstanding highlight which ever since starting birding here in 2016, I wanted to find, see or hear, GOLDEN ORIOLE! I was very lucky or fortunate to find up to 3 Golden Oriole this year on the same morning, one seen well flying over the treetops, 1 heard singing early morning and 1 other seen being pursued by a Stock Dove through the trees at speed. To see and hear this bird on the patch is simply phenomenal. I'm not sure if this bird will ever be beaten but I'm sure Nethergong has many more bird moments to offer. A singing male Bluethroat would be nice! I'm currently recording at night in the hope of a Long eared Owl which I may have recorded a few nights ago calling but I need a few more sessions and hope I get a few more calls to confirm. Who knows, the list may move on again. From a target of seeing or hearing 100 species back in 2016, this small site has everything from common, scarce and the occasional rare bird passing through. In the meantime, here is 10 seconds of the Golden Oriole singing back in May this year. Patch 'GOLD'. 

Singing Golden Oriole




2 comments:

  1. Being as utterly hopeless at bird song as I am, I would never have batted an eyelid at the sound of that Golden Oriole, Marc, but what a great record! My excuse for lack of bird song knowledge is that I came to birding late in life when my hearing was already on a downward turn, It's getting worse and my memory is shot anyway, so I guess I'll never get better at it! Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. A sound which can be easily missed but not to my ears. The thought of a male Golden Oriole singing in those trees is to die for. Take care.

    ReplyDelete