Saturday 10 December 2022

With a day of sunshine forecast but temperatures staying below freezing for most of the day, I wanted to give the Jays another go in the hope of photographing them in good light. I arrived around 08:30 and after a brief walk with the wheelbarrow with all the equipment in, I was soon in the small wood and set up the hide. I had topped up the log Thursday morning before work in the dark again and was optimistic with the weather the the birds would soon be in. Even when topping up the log this morning, a Robin was virtually trying to get food out of my hands. With a heavy frost for all of the session, it was more of a case of whether my toes would last the time. I settled in with visits soon from Blue and Great Tits along with 4 Robin, 1 Great spotted Woodpecker, 2 Dunnock and a few Blackbirds. With the birds getting confident, 2 Pheasants appeared along with a few Woodpigeon which signalled the entrance of a Jay, the first of about four visits this morning. Initially shy, I was soon able to grab a number of pleasing images in good light as he returned a few times. In quiet times, a flask with hot chocolate was most welcome and whilst sitting there, I heard a Common Crane calling which was then seen out of the hide window flying back towards Grove Ferry. With the toes now beyond numb, I decided reluctantly to pack up and returned back to the car, not before checking the Kingfisher post and also putting a few mealworms out at the lake in the hope a Water Rail appears. An excellent session and hopefully a wander around tomorrow to see what else is about. Fingers crossed soon that a Kingfisher starts using the post on the stream. Another hide session beckons!














Jay

2 comments:

  1. More super Jay shots, Marc. My favourite is the penultimate one, without the 'bait' showing so much. I'd love to be able to observe these fabulous birds at close quarters. Best wishes - take good care - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. It's taken a few years but at last, a Jay in good light. I will keep feeding the log and return as and when I need too. Right, now for that Kingfisher and Water Rail project. Take care.

      Delete