Wednesday 27 December 2023

The final push for year ticks! A couple of visits over the past week have produced a few birds including yesterday, 1 Raven, 1 Peregrine, c300 Stock Dove, 63 Golden Plover flying NW, 1 Marsh Harrier and c60 Linnet. I often check the gulls in the fields for something different and whilst scanning through with the binoculars, I picked out a  bird which had a slightly darker back than the Herring Gulls around it and appeared to show yellow legs. I had my suspicions this could be a Yellow-legged Gull but am not too great on gull id. I took a few very distant shots in the hope I could get an id of the bird and also a few flight shots showing the wing pattern. I watched it for sometime and every time it passed a Herring Gull, it was easy to pick out with the darker back. I posted a few shots on Twitter last night and asked a few of the Gull experts out there who both come back and said it was indeed an adult Yellow-legged Gull (128). This is a new species for the site and one I have been hoping for. I did take the scope with me today but couldn't re-find it. Other bits today included c600 Stock Dove in fields together, 3 Common Buzzard, 1 Peregrine, 2 Kestrel, 5 Fieldfare, 1 Coot, 1 Greenfinch, 4 Stonechat, a mixed flock of c80 Chaffinch and Linnet, 1 Goldcrest, 1 Treecreeper, 4 distant Goose species over St Nicholas at Wade and whilst checking the Gulls flying by, I managed to find 2 Great Black backed Gulls (129). This may well be the last species added this year unless I can repeat last years final Hen Harrier on New Years eve. Weather permitting, I will hopefully be out having a look for something before the year finally says goodbye. 








Adult Yellow-legged Gull

2 comments:

  1. Well spotted! I'm probably a lot more hopeless than you are at gull ID, Marc, and I'm sorry to say I often pay little attention to them.

    Still couldn't comment here via my Google account, so am trying the 'Name' and 'URL' option - we'll see if it works!

    Best wishes for a great 2024 - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks Richard and thankfully it worked. I'm having to do the same thing to publish any comments. I've tried to sort it out but as of yet, not much. Best wishes to you and your family next year. I look forward to seeing your wildlife adventures unfold. Take care.

    ReplyDelete