I made a midday visit to Nethergong today in quite warm conditions and I'm pleased I did as I found a new bird for the patch in the form of 2 POCHARD (119) associating with 11 Tufted Duck. I've been hoping for a few years that this species would pay a visit and all the checking and hope finally paid off. They were quite distant and I was looking into the sun but that did not matter today, and I was happy just to record a few record shots. My next target bird is hopefully a Great crested Grebe. It would be nice to think during the colder winter months that one might pay a visit. Also seen today were 7 Mute Swan, 9 Egyptian Geese, 1 Stock Dove, 4 Moorhen, 1 Green Sandpiper, 16 Black headed Gull, 8 Herring Gull, 4 Cormorant, 1 Sparrowhawk, 6 Common Buzzard, 1 Great spotted Woodpecker, 1 Kestrel, 1 Hobby, 1 Peregrine, 1 Jay, 7 Jackdaw, 6 Rook, 7 Carrion Crow, 1 Raven, 2 Blue Tit, 1 Great Tit, 1 Reed Warbler, 17 Swallow, 2 Chiffchaff, 2 Cetti's Warbler, 1 Blackcap, 1 Blackcap, 1 Whitethroat, 1 Firecrest and 1 Treecreeper. I checked one of the sheltered sunny spots with some nice bare branches and found a Spotted Flycatcher (120). I had brief but good views before it flew deeper into cover. There was 1 Wheatear, 1 Bullfinch, 2 Linnet, 5 Goldfinch and 3 Yellowhammer.


No comments:
Post a Comment