I was out of the house by 05:00 where after collecting the recorder, I had a few hours walking around the Nethergong / Chislet Marshes area. The nocmig recorder had a Barn Owl calling and what seemed like a wader call but otherwise, pretty quiet. I hadn't been walking long when I could see a male Marsh Harrier quartering a ploughed field when it suddenly dropped down and came up with a leveret in its talons. From no where, an adult Hare appeared and gave chase, literally jumping in the air to get its you back. The Harrier soon dropped it but now the Crows and a Common Buzzard where on the scene. The Hare spent the best part of 20 minutes chasing everything away before she moved off to about 100 yards from where the leveret had been dropped. For some reason, she didn't move and the Buzzard slowly moved back to the area. I suspect the leveret had been killed by the Harrier. I moved off at this point and noted 1+ Greylag Geese heard, 14 Mute Swan, 9 Egyptian Geese still, 9 Moorhen, 1 Snipe, 2 Common Sandpiper, 1 Green Sandpiper, 1 Black headed Gull, 1 Common Gull, 1 Common Tern, 1 Little Grebe heard, 14 Cormorant, 1 Grey Heron, 1 Sparrowhawk, 4 Common Buzzard, 1 Kingfisher, 2 Great spotted Woodpecker and 2 Green Woodpecker. There were 2 Kestrel, 2 Jay, 2 Raven, 6 Skylark, 4 Sedge Warbler, 1 Reed Warbler, 19 Swallow, 4 Chiffchaff, 6 Cetti's Warbler, 2 Long tailed Tit, 2 Blackcap, 11 Whitethroat, 1 Mistle Thrush, 1 Wheatear, 3 Chaffinch, 2 Bullfinch, 1 Greenfinch, 55 Linnet, 4 Goldfinch, 7 Yellowhammer and 3 Reed Bunting.


No comments:
Post a Comment